The House of Virgin Mary is a Catholic and Muslim shrine located in Bülbüldağı, around Ephesus. It is 7 km from Selçuk. The house was discovered in the 19th century following the reported dreams of Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824), a Catholic nun. His images were collected in Clemens Brentano’s book after his death. The Catholic Church did not comment on whether the house was indeed the Virgin Mary, but since the house was discovered it has regularly received pilgrimage visits. Anne Catherine Emmerich was born to Pope II on 3 October 2004. Blessed by Ioannes Paulus.
Catholic pilgrims visit it believing that the mother of Jesus, Mary, lived in this house until she was brought to this stone house by the Apostle John and was taken to heaven (Assumption according to Catholic doctrine, Dormition according to Orthodox doctrine).
This holy place was deemed worthy of various popes’ visits and the Patriarchate’s Blessing. Pope XIII, whose first pilgrimage came in 1896. It was built by Leo and most recently Pope XVI in 2006. It was visited by Benedict.
It is thought that the grave of Mary is also in Bülbüldağı.
There is a small Byzantine church in the ruins of the Virgin Mary, which is reached bypassing the upper gate of the ancient city of Ephesus. It is believed that Mary, the mother of Jesus, lived and died here. It is considered sacred by Muslims as well as Christians and is visited, healing is sought for the sick, and offerings are made.
Based on his conversations with Emmerich on October 18, 1881, starting from Brentano’s book, a French priest named Abbé Julien Gouyet discovered a small stone building and ancient Ephesus ruins on a mountain overlooking the Aegean Sea. He believed that this was the house where the Virgin Mary, described by Emmerich, spent her last years.
Abbé Gouyet’s discovery was not taken seriously by most people, but ten years later, at the insistence of Sister Marie de Mandat-Grancey, DC,  two Lazarist missionaries, Father Poulin and Father Jung, used the building in Izmir on July 29, 1891, using the same source. They also discovered it again.   They learned that this four-walled roofless ruin has long been respected by the Sirince natives 17 km away, who were the descendants of the first Christians of Ephesus. They named the house Panaya Kapulu (“the door to the virgin”). There is a pilgrimage here on 15 August, when most Christians celebrate the Assumption / Dormition each year.
Sister Marie de Mandat-Grancey was chosen by the Catholic Church as the founder of the House of the Virgin Mary and was responsible for the restoration, restoration, and protection of the area around the mountain and the house of Mary until 1915 when she died. The discovery revived and strengthened the “tradition of Ephesus”, a tradition from the 12th century. This tradition competed with the older “Jerusalem tradition” over the place where the Blessed Virgin was taken to heaven. Pope XIII. Leo in 1896 and Pope XXIII. Due to the actions of Ioannes in 1961, the Catholic Church abolished the basic amnesty from the Dormition Church in Jerusalem and then donated it for all time to the pilgrims in the house of Mary in Ephesus.